MAIN BLOCK TO ST WILFRIDS ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207274
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Dec-1991
Statutory Address:
MAIN BLOCK TO ST WILFRIDS ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL, FOX STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIN BLOCK TO ST WILFRIDS ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207274 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2019 at 22:38:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
MAIN BLOCK TO ST WILFRIDS ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL, FOX STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Preston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 53688 29337

Details

PRESTON

SD5329SE FOX STREET 941-1/11/116 (West side) 12/06/50 Main Block to St Wilfrid's Roman Catholic School (Formerly Listed as: FOX STREET Fox Street Schools (Roman Catholic))

GV II

School. Dated 1814 in pediment; altered and enlarged. Red brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roof. L-plan, formed by rectangular main range with rear wing to left. Two storeys over basement, a 2:3:2 window range, symmetrical, the pedimented centre breaking forwards slightly; with plinth, 1st floor band, plain frieze and moulded cornice. The doorway has an Ionic doorcase (now rendered) with engaged columns, frieze with raised lettering "CATHOLIC SCHOOL" and moulded cornice, cavetto jambs, panelled double doors and elliptical fanlight with radiating glazing bars; the windows have raised sills and wedge lintels, and altered 6-pane glazing; and the pediment contains a lozenge with the date "1814". Left return wall has doorway with plain surround, pulvinated frieze, moulded cornice and rectangular overlight, 1 window to the right, another window and a blind window above, and small modern rear wing (not of special interest) replacing original rear wing; right-hand gable wall has basement storey and various 4-pane sashed windows. Rear and INTERIOR not inspected. History: built by Father Joseph Dunn S.J., an early pioneer of gas lighting, and said to be the first school ever lit by piped gas.

Listing NGR: SD5369129334

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391999
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].