Methodist Chapel


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Methodist Chapel, New Mills Road


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207353.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 04:28:05.


Statutory Address:
Methodist Chapel, New Mills Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

High Peak (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 03590 86838


SK 03 86 7/144

PARISH OF HAYFIELD NEW MILLS ROAD (South side) Methodist Chapel

GV II Methodist chapel. Dated 1782.Coursed squared gritstone, gritstone dressings and quoins. Stone coped gables with a variety of finials. Roof hidden. Gutter corbels to side walls.

Single storey, three bay front and sides. North elevation: gabled street elevation has early C20 central, stone, gabled porch. Rusticated semi-circular headed windows to either side. c1920 leaded lights with stained glass.Stringcourse band over. Above,central venetian window with plaque above inscribed 'Wesleyan Chapel /Erected AD 1782'.To either side and rather lower two semi-circular headed windows with projecting sills, imposts and keystones. Side elevations have three similar windows below, stringcourse band and three similar windows above

.Interior: panelled wooden galleries on four side supported on plain columns with foliage capitals. Box pews throughout. Depressed arch, with pilasters to sides, through to eastern organ bay. High panelled wooden pulpit with stairs to one side set against eastern gallery. Late C19 stained glass to lower windows,including a copy of Rossetti's 'Light of the World'. Chapel opened by John Wesley in 1782.

Listing NGR: SK0359086838


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11919/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Fleming. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].