OLD BAPTIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1207425
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
OLD BAPTIST CHAPEL, OLD BAPTIST CHAPEL COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD BAPTIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207425 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 11:06:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD BAPTIST CHAPEL, OLD BAPTIST CHAPEL COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Tewkesbury
National Grid Reference:
SO 89028 32562

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO8932 OLD BAPTIST CHAPEL COURT 859-1/6/317 (North side) 04/03/52 Old Baptist Chapel (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET Old Baptist Chapel, Old Baptist Chapel Court)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Baptist Chapel CHURCH STREET. Former Baptist Chapel, now information and display area. Late C15, adapted for chapel use c1690 and 'modernised' in c1720; substantially restored c1980. Square panel timber-frame with tension bracing, plaster infill, tile roof. An original hall house adapted for chapel use, and restored to the supposed state of c1720; a single space, with galleries on 3 sides, and a partitioned-off minister's room. To the court in heavily restored framing on small stone plinth are 4 two-light casements with leading at first floor and 2 at ground floor; at centre are 2 full height 2+1 light multi-pane casements with a central structural post. Far left is 6-panel flush-beaded door, and at right end a similar door in moulded surround. At outer end the timber-framed gable partly concealed by adjacent brick cottages. INTERIOR is one large space with gallery on 3 sides, plastered segmental barrel ceiling, with 5 exposed tie-rods, exposed framing to walls. Galleries, approached by C20 staircases, supported on slender turned Doric columns to very high plinths, carrying heavy beam on brackets at street end, and very heavy stopped-chamfer beam at west (burial ground) end, panelled gallery fronts. At west end first floor the former minister's room enclosed by partition, and with fireplace. Good stained and grained pulpit with dentilled cornice and back board, centre of Court side, a few early benches. A new larger Baptist Chapel opened in 1805, and the old building sub-divided into 2 cottages, with remains of the Chapel between. Rear balcony may have been added in 1905. The whole was acquired by Tewkesbury Borough Council in 1976, and restored to its present condition at a cost of »116,000, including HBC grant of »44,000. The structure is now primarily of historical interest. (Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses: Stell C: Gloucestershire: London: 1986-: 98; The Old Baptist Chapel, Tewkesbury: Story of its Development...: Tewkesbury: 1970-; Victoria County History: Gloucestershire: London: 1968-: 163).

Listing NGR: SO8903232556

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
376897
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986), 98
The Old Baptist Chapel Tewkesbury, (1970)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1968), 163

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04181/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Brookes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].