16-24, HIGHBURY PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207440
Date first listed:
20-Sep-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Sep-1994
Statutory Address:
16-24, HIGHBURY PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 16-24, HIGHBURY PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207440 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 23:41:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
16-24, HIGHBURY PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31720 85005

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3184NE HIGHBURY PLACE 635-1/46/492 (East side) 20/09/54 Nos.16-24 (Consecutive) (Formerly Listed as: HIGHBURY PLACE Nos.16-17 & 18) (Formerly Listed as: HIGHBURY PLACE Nos.19-20) (Formerly Listed as: HIGHBURY PLACE Nos.21-39)

GV II

Terraced houses 1773-4. Developed and designed by John Spiller. Brick, stucco and roofs of slate. Three storeys over basement, some houses with dormers in attic; three windows each. Steps up to round-arched entrance set back under a round arch of gauged brick with keystone and impost blocks. All windows flat-arched, with heads of gauged brick; stucco sill band to first floor and band of plain brick to parapet. No 17 has some original sashes, nos 18-20 have no basement and C20 reproduction ground-floor facade; no 21 has decorative glazing to fanlight and panelled door of original design; no 22 has a fine early C19 panelled door. No 24 has some original sashes and a two-storey entrance wing at the side, with an added enclosed wooden Doric porch and canted oriel above, and further to left a former coach house range linked to that of no 25 (q.v.). Cast-iron railings with pinched spike and acorn finials to nos 16-17 and 21-24, no 16 having an overthrow lamp-holder. Nos 18,19 and 20 listed 29/9/72. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Listing NGR: TQ3172085005

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
369003
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04576/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].