Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207495.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2021 at 10:24:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Islington (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28892 87162



TQ2887SE HIGHGATE HILL 635-1/5/500 (East side) 20/09/54 St Joseph's Retreat


Built as the chief clergy house of the Passionist Fathers. The south and west wings of 1874-5, the east wing of a little later. By F.W.Tasker. White or grey and yellow brick set in English bond, roof of Italian pantiles. Three and four storeys over basement, eleven-window range to south. Modelled after an Italian country villa with towers to the outer bays on the principal, south side, and built to enclose the east end of the original Passionist church. On the south side, the ground floor has segmental-arched windows to centre, deeply recessed under segmental arches of gauged brick; one round-arched window at either end; first-floor windows flat-arched with a central bay of three-window range to first and second floors carried on thin columns with moulded stucco cornice above first floor; second-floor windows flat-arched except outer pair to tower bays, which are round-arched; two flat-arched third-floor windows to towers; deep eaves to hipped roofs; the return to Highgate Hill has a lower, apsidal wing running off east and forming a choir for the commmunity; similar wing to the west; single-storey range to Highgate Hill of 1960 by Alex Watson: yellow brick with banded rustication to base, flat-arched entrance under a round-arch, and parapet coped with composition stone, shaped gable over entrance. (Building News 11 Aug 1874, 1 Jan 1875, 19 June 1875.).

Listing NGR: TQ2889287162


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Building News' in 1 January, (1875)
'Building News' in 19 June, (1875)
'Building News' in 11 August, (1874)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14001/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stewart Monk. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].