SOUTHFIELD METHODIST CHURCH AND CHAPEL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207582
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Oct-1993
Statutory Address:
SOUTHFIELD METHODIST CHURCH AND CHAPEL HOUSE, CECIL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTHFIELD METHODIST CHURCH AND CHAPEL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207582 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 15:35:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTHFIELD METHODIST CHURCH AND CHAPEL HOUSE, CECIL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 88497 61038

Details

PAIGNTON

SX8861 CECIL ROAD 1947-1/4/90 (East side) 10/01/75 Southfield Methodist Church and Chapel House (Formerly Listed as: CECIL ROAD Bible Christian Chapel and Chapel House)

GV II

Independent chapel of 1823 and caretaker's house of c1830s. Bible Christian chapel since 1884, alterations of 1901 (Pevsner). MATERIALS: Local red breccia rubble, front elevation and chapel house rendered. Slate roofs, chapel roof hipped at ends with false gable to front. PLAN: Rectangular plan to 2-bay chapel, entrance front to Southfield Road, end backing on to Colley End Road. Double-depth chapel house adjoins at NE side and projects to the front. EXTERIOR: 3-bay front elevation to chapel with 1901 narthex across front. Deep eaves and verges on paired brackets. Chapel in Gothic style has central 3-light window with intersecting tracery flanked by taller similar windows, all with plain stuccoed bands round the heads of the windows. Band of incised lettering 'Bible Christian Chapel' over centre window. Narthex has very shallow central porch with tall gable with cross finial, arched doorway with hoodmould and plank door. Porch flanked by trefoil-headed one-light timber windows with hoodmoulds. Outer bays of narthex are gabled with bargeboards and roundel windows with plain proud architraves. Left return and rear wall of chapel has 2 tall arched windows with Y tracery. Chapel House is 3 storeys with a 2-window front. Deep eaves on paired moulded brackets. Recessed C20 front door to right, similar front door to right return. Windows glazed with C20 small-pane sashes including a tripartite sash on the ground floor of the front elevation. INTERIOR: Plain ceiling with round ventilation grilles. Brattished timber frontal to preaching gallery has blind arches with keyblocks. C19 benches with shaped ends. C19 white marble wall monuments, the earliest dating from c1849. HISTORY: Noted by Pevsner as the oldest Nonconformist chapel in the area. (Buildings of England: Cherry B and Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989: 839).

Listing NGR: SX8849761038

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383776
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 839

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/15954/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].