STAG AND HOUNDS PUBLIC HOUSE AND ATTACHED GATES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207592
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Statutory Address:
STAG AND HOUNDS PUBLIC HOUSE AND ATTACHED GATES, 74, OLD MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STAG AND HOUNDS PUBLIC HOUSE AND ATTACHED GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207592 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 12:11:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
STAG AND HOUNDS PUBLIC HOUSE AND ATTACHED GATES, 74, OLD MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 59594 73116

Details

BRISTOL

ST5973SE OLD MARKET STREET, Old Market 901-1/12/1656 (South side) 08/01/59 No.74 Stag and Hounds Public House and attached gates

GV II

Formerly court, now public house. Court of 1483, predominantly early C18, partly rebuilt 1960s, refurbished 1987. Rendered rubble, limestone details and pantile roof. Formerly single front room with a right-hand open court to the rear, now infilled. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 4-window range. A wide gabled front with the first floor projecting forward and overhanging 4 closely-chamfered stone Doric columns to a moulded entablature beam, set forward to the columns, with panelled clasping pilasters and moulded strings to each floor, and bracketed eaves. Central doorway with C20 double doors, flanking C19 two-light left-hand and 4-light right-hand plate-glass windows; windows above in bolection-moulded exposed frames, with 6/6-pane sashes. 1-window right-hand return; the rest of the side is c1988. The rear has a narrow projecting left-hand section, and a projecting second-floor section to the right. INTERIOR: extensively altered 1987; some early C18 panelling and cornice to the front ground-floor room with a stone right-hand fire surround with pulvinated frieze and cornice; left-hand front open-well stair with uncut string, barleysugar balusters, square newels with pyramidal finials, and a moulded rail; fully-panelled first-floor room with 6-panel door and C20 fire surround; a well in the former rear court has a C19 iron hand pump with fly wheel and pump rods. Stone vaulted basement with barrel skid. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached timber fences flank the front doorway, with newels with spike finials, and gates to the left-hand cellar hatch. HISTORICAL NOTE: originally the Pie-Poudre Court of the Market, reputedly held in the first-floor room. Until the 1960s the gable was truncated. The right-hand return rebuilt after the demolition of the neighbouring building through the Inner Ring Road. (Gomme A: Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest: 42).

Listing NGR: ST5959473116

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380065
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A, Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest42

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04089/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Tony Byram. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].