WILLLIAMS ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207606
Date first listed:
27-Jul-1994
Statutory Address:
WILLLIAMS ALMSHOUSES, 137-145, ST OWEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WILLLIAMS ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207606 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 08:16:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
WILLLIAMS ALMSHOUSES, 137-145, ST OWEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hereford
National Grid Reference:
SO 51643 39618

Details

HEREFORD

SO53NW ST OWEN STREET 683-1/4/288 (North side) Nos.137-145 (Odd) Williams Almshouses

GV II

Almshouses. Rebuilt 1678 and again late C19. Brick; Welsh slate roof; 4 spurred brick stacks. 2 storeys; 6-window range: late C19, 3-light casements under gauged brick flat arches. 6 plank doors, paired to Nos.137/139, 141/143, under segmental arches; 6 square bays with casements, on chamfered brackets; continuous verandah with slate roof, on brackets. Firemark; tablet; 2 reset carved stones. Right and left returned sides: C17 brick, with some earlier masonry, and carved stones. INTERIOR: No.143: C19 winder stair. 1st floor: two C19 plank doors and partitions; architraves to windows. All units of Williams Almshouses believed similar. (Duncumb J: History of the County of Hereford: 1804-: 427).

Listing NGR: SO5164339618

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
372475
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Duncumb, J, History of the County of Hereford, (1804), 427

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11189/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeff Andrews. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].