ST GILES' HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207615
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
ST GILES' HOSPITAL, 149-157, ST OWEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST GILES' HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207615.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 10:27:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST GILES' HOSPITAL, 149-157, ST OWEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hereford
National Grid Reference:
SO 51658 39608

Details

HEREFORD

SO53NW ST OWEN STREET 683-1/4/289 (North side) 10/06/52 Nos.149-157 (Odd) St Giles' Hospital

GV II

Formerly known as: Nos.147-155 St Giles' Hospital ST OWEN STREET. Almshouses. c1770. Dressed sandstone; brick pediment and eaves; concrete tile roof; 3 brick ridge stacks. 5-unit plan. Single storey and attic; 5-window range. Central unit has plank door with flat arch, under simple bracketed hood, flanked by 3-light casements; recessed to either side, 2 units with similar entrances, and 3/3 casements; brick modillion eaves and stuccoed central pediment with inscription; C20 roof dormers with Gothick glazing. Left side has reset C12 tympanum. C20 outhouses and gables to rear. INTERIOR: No.147: C18(?) winder stair; C19 light and screen. 1st floor: C19 plank door; exposed purlins; stepped brick stack. Ground floor: stop-chamfered ceiling beams; recessed with moulded stone arch. (Duncumb J: History of the County of Hereford: 1804-: 428-429; RCHME).

Listing NGR: SO5165839608

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
372476
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931)
Duncumb, J, History of the County of Hereford, (1804), 428-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11189/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeff Andrews. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].