MELFORD BRIDGE (THAT PART IN THETFORD CIVIL PARISH)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207623
Date first listed:
03-Apr-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Dec-1993
Statutory Address:
MELFORD BRIDGE (THAT PART IN THETFORD CIVIL PARISH), CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MELFORD BRIDGE (THAT PART IN THETFORD CIVIL PARISH)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207623 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 03:18:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
MELFORD BRIDGE (THAT PART IN THETFORD CIVIL PARISH), CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Brettenham
County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Thetford
National Grid Reference:
TL 87919 82958

Details

THETFORD

TL8782 CASTLE STREET 617-1/8/50 Melford Bridge (that part in 03/04/51 Thetford CP) (Formerly Listed as: MELFORD BRIDGE ROAD (South West side) Melford Bridge)

II

Road bridge over river (River Thet), part of which lies in Brettenham CP. Dated 1697. Paid for by John Wodehouse. Brick with ashlar dressings. Both upstream and downstream faces have 3 semi-circular arches with 2 grouped close together at south end. These 2 are faced with ashlar and have between them a pilaster rising from a pointed cutwater. On the upstream side the pilaster has a stone plaque bearing the Wodehouse arms and the date 1697. Splayed parapet with rounded coping stones, now mostly all replaced.

Listing NGR: TL8791982958

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384716
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/11350/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Hull. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].