IFIELD WATER MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207630

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1948

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Feb-1983

Statutory Address: IFIELD WATER MILL, HYDE DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of IFIELD WATER MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207630 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 06:06:20.

Location

Statutory Address: IFIELD WATER MILL, HYDE DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Crawley (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 24509 36446

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HYDE DRIVE 1. 5403 Ifield Ifield Water Mill (formerly listed under Rusper Road) TQ 23 NW 2/39 21.6.48 II 2. Built about 1817 and incorporating date plaque of one erected in 1683 on the same site. Lower storey brick, 2 upper storeys attic in gable ends of timber structure weatherboarded and painted white. Low pitched roof of Welsh slates, with projecting eaves carried on paired brackets. There is a Venetian window in each of the gable ends. Projecting hoist on north side. Two restored sash windows with glazing bars. The main cast iron skeleton of the water wheel remains though at the time of resurvey (1980) no internal machinery remained though there were plans to restore the mill. A date stone with the initials "16 TMM 83" is fixed to the north hall near the north- west angle externally. A flour mill is known to have been erected in 1683 on the site of former iron works. (See S A C ii 211).

Listing NGR: TQ2450936446

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 363361

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Sussex Archaeological Collection' in Sussex Archaeological Collection, , Vol. 2, (), 211

End of official listing