EMPRESS PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207633
Date first listed:
21-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
EMPRESS PUBLIC HOUSE, ALFRED GELDER STREET, HULL

Map

Ordnance survey map of EMPRESS PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207633 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 16:07:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
EMPRESS PUBLIC HOUSE, ALFRED GELDER STREET, HULL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TA0975428754

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017

TA0928NE 680-1/22/23

KINGSTON UPON HULL ALFRED GELDER STREET (South East side) Empress Public House

(Formerly listed as The Empress Public House)

GV

II

Warehouse, converted to a public house in 1903 by Joseph H Hirst, City Architect. Mid C19, front dated 1903, with late C19 and late C20 alterations. Brick with pargeted panelled front and slate roof with two side wall stacks. Four storeys; 1x5 windows. Facing gable has moulded pediment with pargeted tympanum. Central two-storey bow-fronted oriel window with a five-light cross casement on each floor, the upper one smaller. Between floors, elaborate pargeted bands. Above again, a rendered panel with a five-light mullioned window with larger round-arched central light. Late C20 ground floor has to left a round-arched glazed double door with overlight, and to right a round-arched wooden cross casement with glazing bars. Right return has to left a large segment-headed window flanked by single smaller windows, and to right, three windows, all with glazing bars. Above, on each floor, five glazing bar windows. Ground floor has a full-width late C19 moulded fascia cornice with two recesses containing canted blank bay windows.

Listing NGR: TA0975428754

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387430
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Neave, David, Neave, Susan, Pevsner Architectural Guides: Hull, (2010), 104

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15141/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Callan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].