ROYAL WOLVERHAMPTON SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207637

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1991

Statutory Address: ROYAL WOLVERHAMPTON SCHOOL, PENN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL WOLVERHAMPTON SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207637 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 19:09:07.

Location

Statutory Address: ROYAL WOLVERHAMPTON SCHOOL, PENN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 90733 97146

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO99NW PENN ROAD 895-1/5/365 (East side) 03/02/77 Royal Wolverhampton School

GV II

Orphanage, now school. 1853, by Joseph Manning; extensions of 1863, Headmaster's residence, 1885, and dormitory wing, c1900. Brick with blue brick diapering and ashlar dressings; slate roof with brick stacks. Elizabethan style. 2 storeys; symmetrical 9-window range with gabled end wings. Top cornice with panels of blind balustrading; shaped gables with finials; quoins. Double-chamfered-mullioned and transomed windows mostly of 2 lights; 2-storey bay windows of 4 lights under the gables. Central 4-stage tower has entrance with 4-centred head and paired doors, Royal Arms above between lozenges; 2 statues of charity children on plinths flank 2-storey canted oriel of 1:2:1 lights with top balustrading; 3-light window above; top clock faces and shaped gables with angle finials; recessed swept spirelet; black letter inscriptions over entrance and bay windows of centre range. Later flanking 4-window ranges with end gables; later 4-window range to left end and 2-window attached Headmaster's residence to right end; 2 rear wings flank projecting hall; long dormitory wing projects to rear right. Headmaster's residence is similar; shaped gable to right. Returns and rear wings have similar details; hall windows and some others have original decorative glazing. INTERIOR: hall with hammer-beam roof, canted apse and gallery with contemporary organ; Gothic style fireplace; some flashed and etched glass lozenges to windows to right; stairs to flanking wings have enriched iron balusters and square newels with finials. The building was opened as the Wolverhampton Orphan Asylum by J.Lees, the founder. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.323).

Listing NGR: SO9073397146

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 378519

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 323

End of official listing