29, COURT BARTON

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1207652
Date first listed:
23-Sep-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
29, COURT BARTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of 29, COURT BARTON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 10:28:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
29, COURT BARTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Ilminster
National Grid Reference:
ST 36046 14614

Details

ILMINSTER

ST3614 COURT BARTON 1939-1/7/19 (East side) 23/09/50 No.29 (Formerly Listed as: COURT BARTON (East side) The Old Library and No.2)

GV II*

Formerly known as: No.2 Girls' Grammar School COURT BARTON. Grammar School, now a dwelling. Early C16 and late C19. Ham Hill stone ashlar facade, stack, coping and moulded kneelers to forward-facing gable; slate roof. This is the east end of the former grammar school and shares a main entrance with No.28, to the left. 2 storeys; 2-window range. All windows are mid C19 horned 6/6-pane sashes, which flank a central external stack, offset above eaves level and with 2 string courses to the top; attached to its centre is a semicircular sundial dated 1586 on the bracket. The entrance, in the set-back central block which is now No.28 (qv), has a Tudor arch with foliate spandrels below a 2-light mullioned window. INTERIOR: the oldest remaining features are wind braces in the roof and a quartered ceiling with early C16 moulded beams in the main ground-floor room. Otherwise greatly altered, and mostly of late C19 and late C20 character.

Listing NGR: ST3603814615

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383383
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10588/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].