Church of St Paul

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207682
Date first listed:
28-Sep-1994
Statutory Address:
Church of St Paul, St Pauls Road

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207682.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Aug-2021 at 21:50:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Paul, St Pauls Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
ST 57622 73524

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/04/2020

ST5773NE 901-1/3/1053

BRISTOL Clifton ST PAUL'S ROAD (north west side) Church of St Paul

28/09/94

II Church. 1853. By Manners and Gill. Aisles and nave rebuilt 1867 by CF Hansom.

MATERIALS: Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, exterior stack and slate roof with decorative ridge tiles and two cast-iron vents.

PLAN: aisled nave with west and southwest porches, north side tower and attached north west house. Originally built as a hall church, the nave was raised by Hansom and Decorated Gothic Revival-style tracery largely replaced by Geometrical in the two-centred arched openings.

EXTERIOR: east end has a tall nave gable and flanking aisle gables with angle buttresses, two two-light windows beneath a central round window to the nave, and three-light aisle windows. A deep porch has an ashlar gable with steps up to a doorway with three orders, granite columns with foliate capitals and a carved scene of St Peter teaching, in the tympanum. Sliding doors into the reveals and a double inner door. Flanking side porches have pierced parapets and two side windows. North aisle has seven bays of two-light windows separated by buttresses. Similar south aisle; south west porch has an ashlar gable with paired, arched doorways on paired granite columns, the right-hand one blocked, set in a two-centred arched recess, with a quatrefoil in the tympanum and a finial.

The three-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, a north doorway with double doors and strap hinges and a hood with head stops, and a south west octagonal stair turret to the first stage; small one-light window above and a string; cinqefoil second-stage window below a weathered band, and two-light belfry windows with Decorated tracery and louvred panels. A corbel table to an ashlar broached spire with three diminishing stages of spirelights. Two storey; four-window range house to the north west corner has a double-pile roof and three cross gables with roll-top coping, the right-hand ones paired. These have three-light ground-floor windows with trefoil heads and labels, and two-light first-floor two-centred arched windows with a central round light. Left-hand gable has a three-light ground-floor window with flat, cuspate head, and a three-light first-floor window with a shallow arch with trefoil over; plain two-light window between the left and middle gables, and a blocked left-hand door with shouldered lintel. External stack to the west gable. The west end of the nave has a three-light nave window, and two-light aisle windows.

INTERIOR: two-bay chancel with timber reredos, in three sections with painted panels and flanking pointed-arched arcades; tall chancel arch with triple attached shafts; five-bay nave with round sandstone shafts on square piers with water leaf, foliate capitals and moulded arches; carved corbels to vault shafts to a timber roof with arched trusses pierced by trefoils, and two tiers of windbraces; timber aisle roofs with pointed-arched trusses; west gallery.

Fittings include an octagonal pulpit with marble shafts, and a similar octagonal stone font. The original building was an unusual example of a hall church with the aisles the height of the nave, perhaps suggested by the Cathedral (qv), and with a spire modelled on Pugin's St Peter's, Marlow. Listing NGR: ST5762273524

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380503
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 300

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05748/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].