COUNTY HALL MAIN ENTRANCE BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207685
Date first listed:
04-Aug-1972
Statutory Address:
COUNTY HALL MAIN ENTRANCE BLOCK, ST HELEN'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of COUNTY HALL MAIN ENTRANCE BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207685 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 08:18:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
COUNTY HALL MAIN ENTRANCE BLOCK, ST HELEN'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Ipswich (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 16849 44528

Details

1. 1260 ST HELEN'S STREET (South Side)

County Hall Main entrance block TM 1644 NE 2/319

II

2. An early C19 grey gault brick building formerly the courthouse, now the Shire Hall. The C18 gaol stood at the rear (now demolished). It was designed by W McIntosh Brooks in 1836, in the Tudor style. Its powerful design well characterises its original purpose. The frontage is about 150 ft long, with a central entrance, block with twin castellated tower, castellated side wings and 2 slightly projecting end pavilions. The central entrance block has sham machicolations and a stone mullioned and transomed window, casements with glazing bars, in splayed stone reveals. The windows in the towers have stone hood moulds. A central entrance door has heavy double doors, each of 8 panels with a heavy portcullis grille above, set in a 4 centred moulded brick arch. The side wings are unfenestrated apart from 4 heavily barred windows low down in the east wing. The end pavilions have 4 centred arched windows with splayed stone reveals and hood moulds on the ground storey and stone mullioned and transomed windows with splayed stone reveals on the 1st storey. A moulded stone string course runs across the wings and end pavilions, with a central carved stone coat of arms in each wing. The front rises above a deep battered stone plinth. A shield above the entrance doors bears the date 1837.

Listing NGR: TM1684944528

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275558
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/07595/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Maxwell Newport. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].