POLICE STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207691
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1994
Statutory Address:
POLICE STATION, 76, KING'S CROSS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of POLICE STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207691 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:12:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
POLICE STATION, 76, KING'S CROSS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30831 82745

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3082NE KING'S CROSS ROAD 635-1/67/543 (East side) No.76 Police Station

GV II

Police Station. 1869-1870 by Thomas Charles Sorby, Surveyor to the Metropolitan Police. Stock bricks with Portland and Tilbury stone dressings to front elevation; projecting eaves to roof, material obscured; prominent brick stacks to bearing walls. Italianate style. Four storeys with basement and one-storey Welsh-slate hipped roof block breaking forward along the front right facade; 6-window range. Assymetrical double-fronted with irregular end bays breaking forward and 4-window range centrepiece in recess. Steps rise to slightly off-centre single-bay porch entrance with stone dressings, and bracketed cornice surmounted by elaborate stone sculpture with heraldic supporters, possibly of a later date. 6/6 sashes with brick and stone surrounds throughout, windows becoming shorter as they rise. Ornament in loose, almost brutal manner; stone and brick sill bands to upper floors. Lavish brick cornice beneath eaves. Built as Clerkenwell Police Station to replace an earlier station of 1842 part of which appears to remain attached to the Magistrates Court (q. v.). (Historians File, English Heritage, London Division: 1990-).

Listing NGR: TQ3083182745

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
369058
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15884/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].