UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207693
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1993
Statutory Address:
UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING SCHOOL, DARTMOUTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207693 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 07:38:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING SCHOOL, DARTMOUTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 88792 60605

Details

PAIGNTON

SX8860 DARTMOUTH ROAD 1947-1/5/28 (North East side) United Reformed Church and adjoining school

GV II

Non-conformist chapel. 1886 to the designs of GS Bridgman, contractor HP Raddich (datestone). MATERIALS: Local grey snecked limestone with Bathstone and red sandstone bands and dressings; slate roof; crested ridge tiles. PLAN: Sited on the corner of Dartmouth and Commercial Roads, chapel and school roofed on a W/E axis, chapel faces W onto Dartmouth Road, school to N Chapel has SW tower. EXTERIOR: Free Decorated Gothic style. Gabled W front to chapel with coped gable; shallow gabled projection to left and tower to right. Large 4-light traceried W window with hoodmould and red sandstone apron, moulded string rises below. Shallow gabled porch with a shoulder-headed W doorway with red sandstone detached shafts with carved capitals and a sexafoil in the tympanum. One-light shoulder-headed windows to left and right of porch. Projection to the left has shoulder-headed doorway with relieving arch over and original plank doors with elaborate strap hinges. Decorative gable over doorway below stone panel with blind roundel decoration; pair of lancets above. The tower to the right is square on plan to the lower stage, octagonal above with a waterleaf-carved corbel frieze below a stone spire with bands of yellow and red stone. On the W face the tower has a shoulder-headed doorway with original doors below a shallow gable with a sexafoil in the tympanum; stone panel with roundel decoration over. Tall 2-tier 2-light window above with plate tracery, trefoil in head and frieze of blind cinquefoils and polished stones across the centre. Other faces of tower similar; blind lucarnes to spire. S side of chapel with buttresses with set-offs and 5-window elevation, 2 windows with gables above the eaves. Toothed red brick frieze below moulded stone cornice. Tall 2-light windows with 2 transoms, the upper lights with shouldered heads. Those with gables have arched heads with red sandstone voussoirs and sexafoils and polished stones in the tympana. Vestry block to right gabled to the S with 2-light window with transom and shoulder-headed lights. The E end has a coped gable and small canted slate-roofed projection. The school is linked to the chapel by a small porch block facing W. Gabled schoolroom, slightly broken forward in the centre with a tall arched 4-light mullioned window with moulded mullions and 3 transoms. Apron of decorative brickwork below window. Doorway to right with shouldered doorframe below deep overlight with a hoodmould. To left lower block with one 3 and one 2-light transomed windows. INTERIOR: Remodelled in C20. An imposing group by GS Bridgman, a developer architect who was responsible for many of the buildings of late C19 Paignton. (Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon: London: 1952-1989: P.839).

Listing NGR: SX8879260605

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383789
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 839

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06364/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Coote. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].