ASHTON CANAL LOCK NUMBER 10 BETWEEN CLAYTON BRIDGE AND STOCKPORT JUNCTION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207712
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1994
Statutory Address:
ASHTON CANAL LOCK NUMBER 10 BETWEEN CLAYTON BRIDGE AND STOCKPORT JUNCTION

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASHTON CANAL LOCK NUMBER 10 BETWEEN CLAYTON BRIDGE AND STOCKPORT JUNCTION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207712 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 13:16:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
ASHTON CANAL LOCK NUMBER 10 BETWEEN CLAYTON BRIDGE AND STOCKPORT JUNCTION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 88154 98236

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89NE ASHTON CANAL, Beswick And Clayton 698-1/5/518 Lock No.10, between Clayton Lane Bridge and Stockport Junction

GV II

Canal lock. c.1792-1799, for Manchester and Ashton-under-Lyne Canal Company; partly rebuilt, and renovated. Large blocks of millstone grit (partly replaced with sandstone rubble), with some brick, wooden gates. Narrow type (chamber 7 feet wide), with overflow channel on north side, stone staircase on south side of lower entry, double gates at lower end and single gate at upper end. Eighth in a series of 13 similar locks, all in working order.

Listing NGR: SJ8815498236

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387900
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/09116/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].