COUNTY COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1207819
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1977
Statutory Address:
COUNTY COURT, 50, QUEEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of COUNTY COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207819.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 03:09:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
COUNTY COURT, 50, QUEEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 91683 98643

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9198NE QUEEN STREET 895-1/12/298 (South side) 03/02/77 No.50 County Court

GV II*

Library and newsroom, with Assembly Room from 1829, now court. 1815, 1st storey added for Assembly Room in 1829 by L.Vulliamy. Stucco with stone dressings; parapeted roof. Regency style. 2 storeys; 7 bays, end bays break forward; projecting 3-bay centre has tetrastyle Tuscan colonnade and 1st floor Ionic portico. Plinth the width of colonnade, 1st floor sill course and entablatures to ground floor and 1st floor. Round-headed ground-floor windows are sashed with glazing bars, similar windows with square-headed architraves to end bays of 1st floor, the other windows with architraves and 18-pane sashes, those to 2nd and 6th bays with balustraded aprons; balustrade to portico has central relief of Royal arms with lettering: COUNTY COURT beneath. Round-headed entrances to end bays have Tuscan porches, fanlights with decorative glazing bars and paired 3-panel doors. Bowed railings to plinth. Rear has bowed projection on cast-iron columns to 1st floor; sashed windows and one horizontally sliding sash. INTERIOR not fully inspected: staircase has enriched iron balusters; 1st floor may have features of interest. Wolverhampton Council first met here, 22 May 1848. (Mason F: Yesterday's Town: Wolverhampton: Wolverhampton: 1982-).

Listing NGR: SO9168398643

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378545
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mason, F, Yesterday's Town: Wolverhampton, (1982)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03639/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.R. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].