129, CUMBERLAND ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207882

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: 129, CUMBERLAND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 129, CUMBERLAND ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207882 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 08:38:16.

Location

Statutory Address: 129, CUMBERLAND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 57784 72189

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5772 CUMBERLAND ROAD, Floating Harbour 901-1/41/1293 (North side) No.129

II

Office. Mid C19. For Charles Hill and Sons, shipbuilders. Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, roof not visible. Double-depth plan. Italianate style. 2 storeys; 6-window range. A symmetrical front has doorways to the centre and in splayed corners with carved acanthus capitals, to a wooden cornice that extends out over the corners on cast-iron stanchions; first-floor clasping pilasters to a frieze, cornice and parapet. The central doorway has a plate-glass overlight and 4-panel door, those to the corners are blocked; between are 8 continuous 8-pane windows with top-hung casements. 3 paired, semicircular-arched first-floor windows with sill blocks, to 4/4-pane sashes. Rendered returns, connected behind to a C20 building. INTERIOR: largely remodelled mid C20. Originally offices for Charles Hill & Sons, formed 1848, shipbuilders at the Albion Dockyard (qv). Their last ship was launched in 1976. (Lord J and Southam J: The Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-: 82).

Listing NGR: ST5778472189

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379480

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lord, J, Southam, J, The Floating Harbour, (1983), 82

End of official listing