OLD CITY GAOL, ENTRANCE WALL AND GATEWAY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207885

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: OLD CITY GAOL, ENTRANCE WALL AND GATEWAY, CUMBERLAND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CITY GAOL, ENTRANCE WALL AND GATEWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207885 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 22:11:54.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD CITY GAOL, ENTRANCE WALL AND GATEWAY, CUMBERLAND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58536 72088

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST5872 901-1/42/1295

BRISTOL CUMBERLAND ROAD (North side), Floating Harbour Old City Gaol, entrance wall and gateway

(Formerly Listed as: CUMBERLAND ROAD Stone screen entrance wall to Old City Gaol)

08/08/75

II

Entrance wall and gateway. 1832. By HH Seward and RS Pope. Carboniferous limestone ashlar to head height, and Pennant ashlar above. Windowless square towers flank a recessed bay with a large semicircular-arched gateway, with portcullis and iron-clad doors, and semicircular-arched blind windows each side; above is a wide rectangular recess and a thin string course. The entrance to the City Gaol (demolished), designed by HH Seward, pupil of Sir John Soane, in 1816, and restored by RS Pope, city surveyor, after the 1831 riots. It was closed in 1883. (Lord J and Southam J: The Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-: 116).

Listing NGR: ST5853672088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379482

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lord, J, Southam, J, The Floating Harbour, (1983), 116

End of official listing