ABBEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208018
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Jun-1950
Statutory Address:
ABBEY HOUSE, ABBEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABBEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208018 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 01:17:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
ABBEY HOUSE, ABBEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Crewkerne
National Grid Reference:
ST 43912 09845

Details

CREWKERNE

ST4309 ABBEY STREET 876-1/6/14 (South side) 12/06/50 Abbey House

GV II

House. Mid C19, on site of a former Clergy House. Limestone ashlar with Ham Hill stone quoins, plinth and dressings; slate roof with stepped stone coping and stone stacks. Double-depth plan with service wing to the right. Tudor-Revival style. 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. Between the 2 forward-facing shouldered gables with moulded kneelers, is a corbelled-out oriel window to the first floor; this has dagger tracery, and a moulded and castellated cornice. Below is a diagonally planked and studded door flanked by single-light, deeply recessed, narrow windows. All the other casement windows have label moulds and horizontal glazing bars to each light; single-light to the attics, and 2-light, C19, cross-windows below. To the right is a single-storey gabled wing with one tall narrow window. A C15 stone-mullioned window with leaded lights, from the former Chantry House on the site, has been repositioned as a stair-window to the rear; it has a tall label mould over 2-lights with cinquefoil heads; the space below the label mould has 4 small trefoil-headed lights. INTERIOR: entry refused but noted as having C19 features.

Listing NGR: ST4391209845

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390294
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12354/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].