10-14, SION HILL


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
10-14, SION HILL


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208061.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2021 at 19:29:58.


Statutory Address:
10-14, SION HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:



ST5673SE 901-1/7/1024 08/01/59

SION HILL, Clifton (South East side) Nos.10-14 (Consecutive) (Formerly Listed as: SION HILL Nos.10-13 (Consecutive)) (Formerly Listed as: SION HILL Nos.14 AND 15)


Terrace of 5 shops, now houses. Dated 1786, rebuilt c1830. Limestone ashlar, party wall stacks, and slate, pantile and interlocking tile double-pile roofs. Late Georgian style. Each of 3 storeys, attic and basement; 2-window range. A stepped terrace articulated by pilasters to a cornice and coped attic storey; left-hand doorways have timber surrounds with fluted pilasters to an entablature and moulded canopy, rectangular overlight, with a good metal fanlight to No.13 with oval and diagonal bars, and 6-panel doors. 6/6-pane sashes, taller to the first floor, and 3/3-pane attic sashes. Low basement windows with grilles. Full-width first-floor wrought-iron balconies with arched anthemia, tented to Nos 10-12. Rear sashes in flush frames. INTERIOR includes an entrance hall divided by a semicircular arch from a rear dogleg winder stair with uncut string, stick balusters and column newels, similar first-floor hall, panelled shutters, 6-panel doors and fire surrounds. HISTORICAL NOTE: shown in an 1831 engraving by TLS Rowbotham as an uneven row of houses with shop fronts, and converted soon after to the current uniform terrace.

Listing NGR: ST5666473089


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03800/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril N. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].