THE PIAZZA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208126
Date first listed:
16-Aug-1985
Date of most recent amendment:
03-May-1994
Statutory Address:
THE PIAZZA, BRADDONS HILL ROAD WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PIAZZA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208126.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 13:58:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PIAZZA, BRADDONS HILL ROAD WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 91757 63815

Details

TORQUAY

SX9163 BRADDONS HILL ROAD WEST 885-1/17/52 (East side) 16/08/85 The Piazza (Formerly Listed as: Old Arts School)

GV II

Shown on O.S. map as Art School. Originated as the Salem Chapel, built c1850s for Mr Robert Stark. Converted to School of Science and Art in 1864 (Ellis, p.461); renamed Vivian Institute for the Promotion of Science and Art in 1878; enlarged 1887, now in use as restaurant. Flemish bond brick with Ham Hill dressings. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Pedimented gable to the road. 3-bay ground floor with paired Doric pilasters with an entablature with triglyph frieze and projecting cornice on brackets. Paired first-floor Ionic pilasters with entablature. Dentil cornice to pediment. Central entrance with recessed 2-leaf door, 6 panels per leaf. Stone plaque over doorway records 1887 enlargement for the Jubilee. Large 12-pane sashes to outer bays. Secondary 4-pane first floor sash; oculus in gable. INTERIOR: Not inspected but described as "undistinguished hall and outbuildings at rear" (1985) and Ellis notes that floor contains traces of Chapel aisles (p.461). (Ellis, A.C.,: An Historical Survey of Torquay, 2nd edition: 1930-: P.461).

Listing NGR: SX9175763815

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390520
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ellis, A, A Historical Survey of Torquay, (1930), 461

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09325/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].