GROUP OF 7 CHEST TOMBS AND 1 HEADSTONE TO SOUTH AND SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208134
Date first listed:
06-Dec-1993
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 7 CHEST TOMBS AND 1 HEADSTONE TO SOUTH AND SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 7 CHEST TOMBS AND 1 HEADSTONE TO SOUTH AND SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208134 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 23:30:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 7 CHEST TOMBS AND 1 HEADSTONE TO SOUTH AND SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Crewkerne
National Grid Reference:
ST 43965 09784

Details

CREWKERNE

ST4309 CHURCH STREET 876-1/6/50 (West side) Group of 7 chest tombs and 1 headstone to S and SE of Church of St Bartholomew

GV II

Group of 7 chest tombs to the south and south-east of St.Bartholemew's Church. C17 and C18. MATERIALS: Ham Hill stone. 1st: farthest east, has a moulded edge, rebuilt plinth, plain ends and 2 raised-and-fielded panels to each side with worn inscriptions, but the date 1780 visible to the east end. 2nd: approx 20m to south of south-east corner of chancel. C17. Thick, steep hipped top with cyma moulding to the edge; 2 dentilled semi-circular arches to the sides, one to the ends, with illegible inscriptions. 3rd: approx 15m to south of the chancel. Early C18. Cyma moulding to edge of hipped top and plinth; worn inscriptions but the dates 1719 and 1826 are visible. 4th: approx 30m south of chancel. Late C18. Enclosed by spearhead railings with urn finials. Cyma moulding to edge of shallow hipped top and plinth; one raised-and-fielded panel to each side, panelled pilasters to long sides; worn inscription except to the south side, where 'Mary Phelps' and the dates 1821, 1823 and 1861 are legible. 5th: approx 7m to the east of the south-east corner of the south transept. Late C17. Thick hipped top with cyma moulding to the edge and to the plinth; 2 recessed panels with ovolo moulding to the long sides, one to the ends. Worn inscriptions. 6th: approx 9m to south of south transept. Mid C18. Thick, shallow hipped top with complex moulding to edge and to plinth; raised-and-fielded panels to each side; panelled pilasters to the long sides. worn inscriptions. 7th: similar to the sixth tomb, is set between to the south transept and the south porch, close to the south aisle. Headstone approx 7m to south of the south-east corner of the south transept. Late C17. recessed inscription panel with primitively carved angels in semi-circular recessed panel to the head.

Listing NGR: ST4396509784

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390327
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/10090/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Judie Burman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].