CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1208140
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1949
Statutory Address:
CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST JOHN, SNOW HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208140 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 02:02:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST JOHN, SNOW HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 91606 98206

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9198SE SNOW HILL 895-1/14/309 (East side) 16/07/49 Catholic Church of St Mary and St John

GV II*

atholic church. 1851-5; enlarged east end, 1879-80. By Charles Hansom. Ashlar with slate roof. Decorated style. Apsidal chancel and flanking chapels and sacristy to south, nave with lean-to aisles and transepts. 3-bay chancel has flanking 3-bay apsidal chapels, all with gabled 2-light windows; chapel to north has 3-light east and north windows; single-bay outer chapel to north has 3-light north window; similar chapel to south masked by sacristy, which has gabled straight-headed windows to east. Transepts have 4 small gabled projections with lights under 4-light windows; 2-light west windows, north-west entrance. 5-bay nave has gabled buttresses and paired 2-light windows to clerestory. Aisles have gabled buttresses and 3-light windows; 2-light west windows; 2nd bay from west on south side has pointed entrance with large flanking buttresses, one with entrance: signs of projected tower. West facade has entrance of 2 orders, Crucifixion to tympanum over enriched paired doors, 6-light window above and flanking gabled buttresses; gable has Crucifix and flanking figures of SS Mary and John. INTERIOR: chancel has 3-bay arcades with rich foliate capitals, traceried parclose screens; vaulted roof on wall shafts; east end has stencilled patterns and rich cornice; chancel arch has hood mould and headstops. Inner chapels have pointed tunnel vaults, cut through for arcades; all chapels have double-chamfered arches to transepts. Nave has 5-bay arcades and higher arches to transepts with quatrefoil piers and rich foliate capitals; deep-arch-braced boarded roof with corbelled shafts and stencilling; west organ gallery with 2 traceried organ cases and overthrow. Fittings: High Altar and reredos enriched with niches and angels, end statues in pinnacled niches, tabernacle has throne above with pinnacle; traceried alabaster panels to altar rail; stone pulpit has traceried panels and relief angels. Chapels have altars except for outer north chapel, which has rich panelled octagonal font with smaller bowl to side. Good stained glass, particularly to east end, probably by Hardman; north aisle has monument to B.Clark (died 1916) with statue on plinth next to copy of famous seated statue of St Peter at St Peter's, Rome. A good example of a mid-Victorian Catholic church notable particularly for its rich interior fittings and the excellent naturalistic carving of corbels and capitals. (Shell County Guides: Thorold H: Staffordshire: London: 1978-: P.186; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: P.316).



Listing NGR: SO9160698206

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378576
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 316
Thorold, H, 'Shell County Guides' in Staffordshire, (1978), 186

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].