HARDY'S HEAD BATTERY AT SX 9440 5675

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208164

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1993

Statutory Address: HARDY'S HEAD BATTERY AT SX 9440 5675, BERRY HEAD COUNTRY PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of HARDY'S HEAD BATTERY AT SX 9440 5675
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208164 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 03:47:45.

Location

Statutory Address: HARDY'S HEAD BATTERY AT SX 9440 5675, BERRY HEAD COUNTRY PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Torbay (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brixham

National Grid Reference: SX 94051 56669

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIXHAM

SX95NW BERRY HEAD COUNTRY PARK, Berry Head 1946-1/2/4 Hardy's Head Battery at SX 9440 5675

GV II

Gun battery. 1779-80, reactivated 1794-5. Granite with limestone rubble revetment wall to earth rampart. 4 wedge-shaped gun platforms made of large granite slabs, these tilting gently from rear to front so as to minimize the recoil of the cannon on firing. 2 platforms face north, 1 east and 1 west. Around the north, east and west sides is a low earth parapet; stone revetment wall visible on north side. Stone rubble footings of a building, possibly a magazine, on south-east. Shown on the 1838 Brixham tithe map with a 3-sided rampart containing 4 splayed gun embrasures. No building at this date. The site is now laid out for public use with seats and information board. (Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Reports: Pye A R: Berry Head Fort, Brixham: 1990-: 25; Brixham Tithe Map: 1838-).

Listing NGR: SX9405156669

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 383521

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report' in Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit, (1990), 25

End of official listing