THREE TOMBCHESTS ON A CONTINUOUS PLINTH, 1 METRE SOUTH OF THE CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208195
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
THREE TOMBCHESTS ON A CONTINUOUS PLINTH, 1 METRE SOUTH OF THE CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THREE TOMBCHESTS ON A CONTINUOUS PLINTH, 1 METRE SOUTH OF THE CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208195 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 05:41:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
THREE TOMBCHESTS ON A CONTINUOUS PLINTH, 1 METRE SOUTH OF THE CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Baylham
National Grid Reference:
TM1023551544

Details

TM 15 SW 3/40

BAYLHAM CHURCH LANE Three tombchests on a continuous plinth, 1 metre south of the chancel of Church of St. Peter

II

Three C18 tombchests. The first and second have lost their limestone side and end panels and the red brick fabric is exposed. The inscribed marble slabs on the upper faces remain: 1. Mary, window of Thomas Wingfield (d.1682) 2. Elizabeth and Nathaniel Acton (d.1741(?) and 1745(?)) This slab bears a well-carved achievement. 3. Nathaniel Acton. Mid C18 (inscription complete but not clearly legible) The limestone panels are richly carved, at one end with a skull and crossed palm fronds, and at the other with festoons; both side panels have swags and a fine central achievement. Compare Acton family floor slabs in chancel of the adjacent church of St. Peter.

Listing NGR: TM1023551544

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279233
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12047/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Whitehouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].