THE PAIGNTON CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208205
Date first listed:
13-Mar-1951
Statutory Address:
THE PAIGNTON CLUB, THE ESPLANADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PAIGNTON CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208205 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 19:20:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PAIGNTON CLUB, THE ESPLANADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 89359 60377

Details

PAIGNTON

SX8960 THE ESPLANADE 1947-1/6/95 (South side) 13/03/51 The Paignton Club

GV II

Purpose-built club. 1881. MATERIALS: Stuccoed and blocked out; roof and stacks concealed behind parapet. Classical style. PLAN: On an important side at one end of the esplanade. Double-depth rectangular plan with bowed ends. Central entrance into stair hall, with (formerly) heated rooms to left and right with bowed ends; large first-floor billiard room with smaller offices to left and right. Services originally in the basement, which has been converted to a flat, services now to the rear in a later addition. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement. Symmetrical 5-bay front with a 5-bay verandah created by an Ionic colonnade with a parapet pierced by small lancets; similar parapet to main block. Verandah has low balustrade on High Victorian cast-iron standards with foliage decoration. Steps up to verandah with C19 central doorway with moulded architrave and with unusual stuccoed brackets supporting a crested cornice; half-glazed door with overlight. The other bays on the ground floor have similar doorways with high-transomed French windows. First-floor windows have similar architraves and brackets but with shallow pediments over; French windows to match ground floor. 3-bay bows to left and right rise to first-floor level and have similar parapets; bays divided by large Corinthian half columns. Round-headed windows in bows have moulded, pilastered architraves with keyblocks. Bays to rear of bows are windowed to match the front. Rear elevation, to Roundham Road, has 3 first-floor pedimented windows and single-storey flat-roofed service addition. INTERIOR: Original joinery includes large 2-leaf panelled doors to ground-floor room from stair hall. Unusual angled timber cornice with pierced pattern. Steep stair with mahogany turned balusters and handrail. Billiard room has decorative roof vents and 2 timber fireplaces of an Edwardian character. Early fittings including tables and scoreboards. Dumb waiter in billiard room, probably original. (DoE: List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: 1975-).

Listing NGR: SX8935960377

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383863
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09423/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].