Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208224.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2021 at 07:02:21.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ 39775 56965



NZ3956NE FAWCETT STREET 920-1/20/69 (East side) 10/11/78 Nos.21 AND 22 (Formerly Listed as: FAWCETT STREET (East side) No 21 (Corders) and No 22 (Sydenham House))


Cafe, shop and offices; now shops. 1889-91. By Frank Caws; contractors David and John Rankin; terracotta by JC Edwards. Brick and terracotta ; roof plain tiles; concrete fireproof flooring. Eclectic mixture of Gothic and Baroque/Flemish styles. No.21 at left 3 storeys, 6 windows under 2 gables with attics; No.22 at right 3 storeys, 3 windows with attic in central gable. Both with altered shop fronts. No.21 has ground-floor panelled fascia and cusped arcaded frieze with roll-moulded coping. Projecting canted bays on arcaded first floor are flanked by narrow lights with Gothic capitals to pilasters and elaborate heads over central lights of canted bays; all with paired, mullioned cusped overlights and dripstring. Second- floor central balustraded balcony has panels with Gothic letters; curvilinear windows with paired arcaded top lights have shallow canted centres under balustraded attic balconies. Elliptical-headed cusped attic arches to recessed windows are flanked by scrolls and pilasters which rise to high shaped gables with terracotta patterns, central oval lights, and raised segmental pediments. Dates 1856 and 1890 in outer panels at eaves level. Steeply pitched roof has central lantern with Gothic lights and high conical roof. No.22 at right has moulded ground floor fascia and frieze below full-width balcony with stone balustrade. First-floor windows, tripartite in centre and paired in outer bays, have upper glazing bars in curvilinear heads below swags and second-floor balcony which projects in centre over panelled pilasters defining first floor central bay. Square-headed second floor lights have raised arches with pendants, the central bay defined by plain pilasters with scrolled pediment heads, under panelled band and outer scrolled pediments. Central attic gable has raised segmental pediment over eclectic tracery of wide arched light containing smaller cusped lights. Steeply pitched roof has end chimney. Frank Caws' own office was in these buildings. (Corfe T: The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914.: Newcastle upon Tyne: 1983-: 7; Milburn GE and Miller ST: Sunderland River, Town and People: Sunderland: 1988-: 163).

Listing NGR: NZ3977556965


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Corfe, T, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914, (1983), 7
Milburn, G E, Miller, S T, Sunderland: River, Town & People, (1988), 163


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01196/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.G. Carroll. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].