THE TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208247
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1975
Statutory Address:
THE TOWN HALL, CASTLE CIRCUS
Statutory Address:
THE TOWN HALL, LYMINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208247.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 16:02:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE TOWN HALL, CASTLE CIRCUS
Statutory Address:
THE TOWN HALL, LYMINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 91374 64346

Details

TORQUAY

SX9164 CASTLE CIRCUS 885-1/14/59 (North West side) 10/01/75 The Town Hall

GV II

Town hall. 2 phases. First phase was the Carnegie Public Library, 1906-7, to the designs of Thomas Davison of London; contractor RE Narracott of Stoke Gabriel. Second phase of Town Hall with committee rooms etc, 1910-11; same architect, contractor R Wilkins of Bristol (Ellis). Snecked local grey limestone with freestone dressings; slate roof behind parapet; stacks with stone shafts with moulded cornices and multiple pots. Edwardian Baroque style. PLAN: Main block fronts Castle Circus with central entrance into stair hall with committee rooms above. Principal hall entered on the right return (Lymington Road); entrance into former Public Library on corner between Castle Circus and Union Street. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement; single storey hall. 3-stage clock tower over entrance. Almost symmetrical 1:5:1:5:1-bay front; centre and outer bays broken forward with rusticated quoins; basement masonry rusticated. Projecting cornice with dentil course below balustraded parapet. Central Doric porch with 3 columns at each front corner with an entablature with triglyphs and guttae. First-floor Diocletian stair window with swags of fruit. Ground-floor windows with Gibbs surrounds with triple keystones. First-floor windows with moulded architraves and alternating segmental-headed and gabled open pediments. Outer bays have round-headed eared niches containing tall windows with triple keystones. Left-hand window with stained glass; stone panels with appropriate texts over the niches. Clock tower has pedimented gabled base supporting a first stage with triple Ionic columns at the corners with an entablature. The 2 upper stages are open with angle pilasters and pinnacles with Baroque finials. The left (Union Road) elevation, the former library, has a domed semicircular entrance block, the first floor articulated with a blind Ionic colonnade with paired columns; square-headed doorway below. 4-window front to the left. The Lymington Road elevation has 3 irregular bays to the left in a similar style and, to the right, the entrance to the main hall which is 1:3:1 bays, the centre 3 recessed and divided by triple keystones and text panels above. The town hall basement is railed off with a good set of contemporary iron railings including vertical panels with scrollwork. Pair of fine coeval iron gates to the main porch incorporating roundels with armorial bearings surrounded by cartouche work. INTERIOR: Historic features include 2 flights of stairs rising from the entrance hall, the wells lined with local and Italian marbles; marble balustrade; coved plaster ceiling to first floor. Contemporary joinery includes elaborate committee room doors with overdoors. The Town Hall forms an important focus to the upper part of the town at Castle Circus. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989: P.854).

Listing NGR: SX9137464346

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390529
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 854
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Devon North, (1952), 854

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11858/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].