Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208257.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2020 at 12:15:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 39393 92699


SJ 3992 22/745

MILL LANE (south side), L12

Church of St. James


Church, 1845-6, E. Welch; Chancel, 1879, W. & J. Hay. West tower (ritual west is actual north), 5-bay nave, transepts and chancel flanked by chapel and vestry. 3-stage tower has angle buttresses. West entrance has two orders with carved tympanum and hood mould with head stops; gableted roundel over, a lancet over, then weathering to battered bell stage with paired louvred bell opening. Lombard frieze and pyramidal roof. To south is later round baptistry with lancets, gabled entrance and Lombard frieze. Nave has lancets with shafts and hood moulds with head stops between gabled buttresses; weathered sill band and Lombard frieze to parapet. Transepts have 3 stepped lancets with roundel over, angle buttresses with panelled pinnacles. One bay of old chancel then north chapel of 5 lancets, gabled porch, 2 light east window with rounded. Chancel east window has 5 lancets taller central one flanked by roundels. South chapel as north but vestry with canted end, straight headed windows and porch with rounded over entrance. Gabled south porch of 2 orders. Roof has 2 flat-topped dormers with 5 cusped lights, also to 1st bay of chancel. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ3939392699


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/01696/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Frank Edge. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].