NUMBERS 1 TO 3 (CONSECUTIVE) AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208278

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1972

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 1 TO 3 (CONSECUTIVE) AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 1-3, PERCY CIRCUS

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 1 TO 3 (CONSECUTIVE) AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208278 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 08:57:54.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 1 TO 3 (CONSECUTIVE) AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 1-3, PERCY CIRCUS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Islington (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30948 82826

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3082NE PERCY CIRCUS 635-1/67/686 (East side) 29/09/72 Nos.1-3 (Consecutive) and attached railings

GV II

Three irregular terraced houses. Forming a short cresent between Great Percy Street and Prideaux Place on the eastern side of a circus built on steep hill. 1841-1843; terraces along northern portion of circus destroyed in war. Circus laid out and probably designed by William Chadwell Mylne for the New River Estate. Gold and brown stock bricks set in Flemish bond with banded stucco ground-floor with channelling and stucco dressings; roofs obscured by parapet except rear of no. 1 which has artificial-slate mansard roof, brick party-wall stacks. Side-hall entrance plan to no. 2, others with entrance to left and right return wall in Great Percy Street and Prideaux Place. Four storeys and basement; 1 window each. Steps rise to recessed doorway with pilaster jambs carrying corniced-heads, rectangular 2-light overlight and double or 4-panelled door (no. 3 C20 door). Ground-floor with original (no. 1) and altered tripartite (no. 3) and 6/6 (no. 2) sashes. 1st floor stucco sill band to full-length 8/8 (no.1), 6/6 (no. 2) and 2/2 tripartite (no. 3) architraved sashes with console-bracketed cornices and individual iron bracketed cast-iron balconies with palmette pattern railings. 2nd floor 6/6 architraved sashes with keystones; 3rd floor stucco sill band to gauged-brick flat arched 3/6 sashes. Stucco cornice (no. 1 removed) and blocking course. Left return (no. 1): blind windows, on upper floors with gauged-brick flat arches. Right return: C20 sashes punched into solid brick wall. Attached cast-iron porch and area railings with urn finials. History: Percy Circus was one of the last additions to the New River Estate and named in honour of Robert Percy Smith, one of the governors of the New River Company. The Circus suffered extensive damage in the 2nd World War and 2 ranges along its northern side were destroyed by bombing; in 1968 a 3rd was pulled down in order to build the Royal Scot Hotel. Percy Circus is one of London's few circuses and its only residential one.

Listing NGR: TQ3094882826

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 369202

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing