HORSE TROUGH APPROXIMATELY 2 METRES TO WEST OF PANNIER MARKET, MARKET SQUARE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208308
Date first listed:
23-Feb-1994
Statutory Address:
HORSE TROUGH APPROXIMATELY 2 METRES TO WEST OF PANNIER MARKET, MARKET SQUARE, CHARLES STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HORSE TROUGH APPROXIMATELY 2 METRES TO WEST OF PANNIER MARKET, MARKET SQUARE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208308 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 15:37:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
HORSE TROUGH APPROXIMATELY 2 METRES TO WEST OF PANNIER MARKET, MARKET SQUARE, CHARLES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Dartmouth
National Grid Reference:
SX 87652 51380

Details

DARTMOUTH

SX874510 CHARLES STREET 673-1/8/60 (East side) Horse trough approximately 2 metres to west of Pannier Market, Market Square

GV II

Horse trough with drinking fountain. Dated 1898. Granite ashlar. Trough rests on 2 squared blocks of granite. Bottom edges chamfered between the supporting blocks and projecting end is rounded. Granite bollards against the feet on the street side to protect it from the traffic. Left (north) end rises with ogee curves to house water pipes and, on the outer side, a small ornately-cast tap remains to a semi-circular basin, the drinking fountain. The road front is set with lead letters which record that the trough was erected in 1898 in memory of Henrietta Loraine, a founder member of the SE Devon branch of the RSPCA and, for 10 years, secretary of the Torquay Anti-Vivisection Society. Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SX8765251380

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387188
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05408/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Head. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].