STATUE OF ETHELFLEDA APPROXIMATELY 13.5 METRES EAST OF HOLLOWAY LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208317
Date first listed:
28-Feb-1992
Statutory Address:
STATUE OF ETHELFLEDA APPROXIMATELY 13.5 METRES EAST OF HOLLOWAY LODGE, HOLLOWAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of STATUE OF ETHELFLEDA APPROXIMATELY 13.5 METRES EAST OF HOLLOWAY LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208317 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 19:57:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
STATUE OF ETHELFLEDA APPROXIMATELY 13.5 METRES EAST OF HOLLOWAY LODGE, HOLLOWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Tamworth (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 20576 03893

Details

TAMWORTH

SK2003NE HOLLOWAY 670-1/9/79 (East side) Statue of Ethelfleda approx 13.5m E of Holloway Lodge

GV II

Statue. 1913. Ashlar with granite base. Circular base in form of seat on octagonal step. Short pier on inscribed plinth, with entasis and spiral pattern, roll-moulded base and Anglo-Saxon interlace to capital, supports statue of Ethelfleda in Anglo-Saxon dress with sword and child. Inscription records erection to commemorate raising of castle mound by Ethelfleda (spelt Aethelfleda) in 913. Ethelfleda, known as 'The Lady of the Mercians', was the daughter of Alfred the Great and sister of Edmund the Elder, who led the defence of Mercia against the Danes, fortifying Tamworth and other towns. (Wood H: Borough by Prescription: Tamworth: 1958-: P.5-6).

Listing NGR: SK2057603893

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386504
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wood, H, Borough By Prescription Tamworth, (1958), 5-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00958/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Kaz Diller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].