SUDLEY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208320
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
SUDLEY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY, MOSSLEY HILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SUDLEY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208320 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 15:44:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
SUDLEY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY, MOSSLEY HILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 38799 86698

Details

SJ 38 NE 7/765

MOSSLEY HILL ROAD L18 Sudley Museum and Art Gallery

14.3.75.

II House, now art gallery. c.1830, with extensions and alterations of 1880's. Stone with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays, end 2 bays project, left hand end recessed, with 2 raised panels. 1st floor sill board and top cornice and blocking course. Windows are sashed, no glazing bars, paired sashes to 5th bay. Porch has Doric columns and Ionic entablature, small extension to right. Stained glass windows to front and left return. End 2 bays have lateral stacks and small cupola. Left return of 3 bays, central bay recessed. Tripartite windows to end bays, tetrastyle Doric porch with Ionic entablature to central bay. Garden front of 5 bays, 2 recessed bays to left and right hand end recessed, with 2 raised panels, 5 bay iron verandah on pierced stone base has Ionic columns and lean to roof with glazed panels. Conservatory to left has canted ends and lattice-glazed upper panes. Interior: Stair hall, c.1830, has Tuscan screen to either side (one now has chimney breast inserted) and 1st floor Doric screen. Saucer dome has lantern with rosette. Many rooms have 1880's Aesthetic style fireplaces; former library has bookcases. Owned and occupied by Holt family (Holt's shipping line) in 1880's and given by them to Liverpool Corporation.

Listing NGR: SJ3879986698

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359105
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06047/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].