DUKE OF CLARENCE TABLET ON NEW PIER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208339
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Oct-1993
Statutory Address:
DUKE OF CLARENCE TABLET ON NEW PIER, BRIXHAM HARBOUR

Map

Ordnance survey map of DUKE OF CLARENCE TABLET ON NEW PIER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208339 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 14:20:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
DUKE OF CLARENCE TABLET ON NEW PIER, BRIXHAM HARBOUR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Brixham
National Grid Reference:
SX 92718 56410

Details

BRIXHAM

SX9256SE BRIXHAM HARBOUR, Lower Brixham 1946-1/11/135 Duke of Clarence tablet on New Pier 18/10/49 (Formerly Listed as: BRIXHAM HARBOUR Tablet on the New Pier)

GV II

Tablet commemorating the visit to Brixham of the Duke of Clarence (later William IV) on 21 July 1823. Devonian limestone in a frame of hollow-moulded red brick, set into wall at rear of New Pier. The present tablet is a metal plate installed in the 1970s and bearing what appears to be a verbatim copy of the original inscription. A small portion of Devonian limestone visible behind the plate suggests that the original tablet survives. The 1970s plate gives the date as 1828, but White's 1850 directory has it as 1823. (White W: Directory of Devonshire: 1850-: 425-6).

Listing NGR: SX9271856410

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383544
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire, (1850), 425-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04735/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Coote. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].