WELLINGTON ROOMS (NOW THE IRISH CENTRE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1208360
Date first listed:
28-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
WELLINGTON ROOMS (NOW THE IRISH CENTRE), MOUNT PLEASANT

Map

Ordnance survey map of WELLINGTON ROOMS (NOW THE IRISH CENTRE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208360.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 14:24:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
WELLINGTON ROOMS (NOW THE IRISH CENTRE), MOUNT PLEASANT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 35565 90117

Details

SJ 3590 SE MOUNT PLEASANT (north side) L3

55/776 Wellington Rooms (now the Irish 28.6.52 Centre)

G.V. II*

Club rooms. 1815 by Edmund Aikin. Built as a fashionable private assembly room for the Wellington Club. Ashlar, slate roof. Facade of one storey, without windows. Moulded plinth and top entablature and parapet. Slight forward break at each end with flanking Corinthian pilasters. Sculptured plaques on the blank walls. In the centre is a semi-circular projection with tetrastyle Corinthian attached colonnade and antefixae over entablature. Portico originally open, but soon filled in and present door added. Interior has circular entrance hall, ballroom with relief frieze, gilt swags and panelled walls etc, also upper rooms, card room etc, some being octagonal - interior decoration probably later C19. Relief frieze said to be by Flaxman. Plain iron area railings, iron lantern on bracket over entrance. Brick return facade with stone pilastrade.

Listing NGR: SJ3556590117

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359117
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/03973/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brendan Oxlade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].