OFFICES OF NORTH WEST WATER LIMITED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208371
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
OFFICES OF NORTH WEST WATER LIMITED

Map

Ordnance survey map of OFFICES OF NORTH WEST WATER LIMITED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208371 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 12:12:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
OFFICES OF NORTH WEST WATER LIMITED

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NY3966554459

Details

CARLISLE

NY3954 HOLME HEAD 671-1/15/177 Offices of North West Water Ltd 13/11/72 (Formerly Listed as: HOLME HEAD Office block at Holme Head Works)

GV II

Office block for factory, now water company offices. Mid C19 with extensive alterations and additions in 1899, by Henry Higginson, with further early C20 alterations. Snecked red sandstone with flush ashlar quoins and stone-bracketed metal gutter. Hipped slate roof with C20 metal vents. Originally single storey over basement, 9 bays; increased by extra storey in 1899. With 3 bays added at right. Pilastered sandstone porch, reached by flanking flights of stone steps with patterned cast-iron railings, was central to original build. Inscription on porch says FERGUSON BROTHERS LIMITED REGISTERED OFFICE. Sash windows, some with glazing bars on the lower floor, all in stone surrounds. INTERIOR not inspected. Illustration of 1854 in Centenary : Ferguson Brothers, Carlisle 1824-1924, shows the office as built. Plans for the alterations approved 9 June 1899 are in Cumbria County Record Office, Ca/E4/13177. A postcard of c1905 shows the 2-storey, 9-bay building. Further office extensions to left are not of interest. (Centenary: Ferguson Brothers, Carlisle 1824-1924: P.40).

Listing NGR: NY3966554459

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386589
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Centenary Ferguson Brothers 1824-192440

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11320/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Furness. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].