HAYWARDS OLD SCHOOL AND DRAMA CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208428
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1992
Statutory Address:
HAYWARDS OLD SCHOOL AND DRAMA CENTRE, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAYWARDS OLD SCHOOL AND DRAMA CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208428 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 18:47:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
HAYWARDS OLD SCHOOL AND DRAMA CENTRE, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Crediton
National Grid Reference:
SS 83705 00097

Details

CREDITON

SS834000 EAST STREET 672-1/6/37 (South side) Haywards Old School and the Drama Centre

GV II

School, incorporating 2 teachers' houses, now used as Youth and Drama Centres. 1859 by John Hayward,architect,of Exeter, with additions of 1874, 1890 & 1894 (Bovett) in a matching style. Snecked local volcanic trap with Ham Hill dressings; asbestos slate roof replacing natural slate; brick and stone stacks. Gothic Revival style. Plan: Double courtyard plan, including two teachers' houses to front block, roofed parallel to the road. Exterior: Houses single storey and attic; classroom blocks single storey. Symmetrical 1:3:3:1-bay front, the houses in the centre, each with 2 gabled dormers, the gable ends of the classrooms to left and right. Axial brick stacks with shafts with brick bands. Deep eaves with bargeboards decorated with various designs of blind tracery with apex pendants and wrought iron finials. Each house has a central 2-centred arched chamfered stone doorway with a hoodmould with label stops, original ledged and braced boarded doors with ornamental strap hinges, flanked by 3-light stone hollow-chamfered mullioned windows with hoodmoulds and label stops. Similar 2-light dormer windows. The gable ends of the classrooms each have large 4-light hollow-chamfered stone mullioned windows with high transoms, the right hand classroom has a C20 doorway with a boarded door inserted to the left. At the left end of the range a probably secondary 3-bay classroom block roofed parallel to the road, with an end stack and 3 2-light mullion-and-transom windows. The left return of the left classroom wing has a large shouldered lateral stack with set-offs and 4 3-light hollow-chamfered mullion and transomed windows. C20 door added to the right. The matching right hand classroom wing probably similar but is partly concealed. The remainder of the building is treated in the same style with mullion-and-transom windows and large lateral stacks. Interior: Not inspected but may retain original open classroom roofs and other features. The school was built with money from the early C17 charity of Sir John Hayward, a Rochester merchant, the charity administered by Buller of Downes. Bovett suggests that the former combined English and Blue Schools, which had been sited at Penton since 1814, were transferred to this building in 1859. A plaque records that Ernest Bevin was a pupil at the school between 1890 and 1892. (Bovett, Robert: Historical Notes on Devon Schools: Devon County Council: P81-82).

Listing NGR: SS8370500097

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386986
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bovett, R, Historical Notes on Devon Schools, (1989), 81-2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/03405/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Woodhead. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].