AIR BALLOON HILL COUNCIL SCHOOLS INSTRUCTION CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208458
Date first listed:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
AIR BALLOON HILL COUNCIL SCHOOLS INSTRUCTION CENTRE, HILLSIDE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of AIR BALLOON HILL COUNCIL SCHOOLS INSTRUCTION CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208458 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 06:34:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
AIR BALLOON HILL COUNCIL SCHOOLS INSTRUCTION CENTRE, HILLSIDE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 63190 73437

Details

BRISTOL

ST67SW HILLSIDE ROAD, St George 901-1/56/1840 (North side) Air Balloon Hill Council Schools, Instruction Centre

GV II

Instruction centre. 1905. By Latrobe and Weston. Pennant rubble with limestone ashlar dressings, lateral stacks and double Roman tile hipped, gabled roofs. Single-depth plan, right-hand hall and left-hand caretaker's house. Single storey; 6-window range hall. A gabled right-hand end with large lunette over 3 windows, the front has 4/4-pane sashes and a corbel table to the eaves. 2-storey house has a central lateral stack, pyramidal roof, the left-hand corner is angled and set forward with 2 windows and a small gable inscribed 1905 with Art Nouveau flowers. A central doorway has wide, flat buttresses to a parapet, with a segmental arch set back beneath a corbelled band and a panel inscribed MANUAL INSTRUCTION CENTRE. The left return has Art Nouveau flowers, a lateral stack and central segmental pediment. Part of a group with the Junior School (qv) and Infant School (qv), and sharing many details with them. A fine composition by one of the few Bristol architects to experiment with Art Nouveau.

Listing NGR: ST6319073437

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379786
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03543/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Phil Draper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].