NEWLAND HOMES EAST LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208523

Date first listed: 21-Jan-1994

Statutory Address: NEWLAND HOMES EAST LODGE, COTTINGHAM ROAD, HULL

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWLAND HOMES EAST LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208523 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 04:20:50.

Location

Statutory Address: NEWLAND HOMES EAST LODGE, COTTINGHAM ROAD, HULL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TA 08356 31516

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 31/03/2017

TA03SE 680-1/4/110

KINGSTON UPON HULL COTTINGHAM ROAD (North side) Newland Homes, East Lodge

GV II Lodge to orphan homes by WH Bingley of Hull. c1896.

MATERIALS: yellow brick with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs with large coped ridge stack.

EXTERIOR: plinth, ground-floor lintel band, first-floor sill band, traceried bargeboard with collar to facing gable. Two storeys; two-window range. Cross plan. Windows are plain sashes. Facing gable has a single window. Below, a central sash flanked by angled corner recesses with shaped stone brackets, the right one with a small sash. Right return has two gable through-eaves dormers, each with a single sash, and below, two single-storey hipped projections, that to left with two small sashes. Left return has a projecting gable to right, with a sash above and a triangular two-light bay window below. To left, in the return angle, a hipped porch with half-glazed door and above it a small sash.

HISTORY: this complex of orphan homes and ancillary buildings was built 1895-1902 by the Port of Hull Society and endowed by various benefactors whose names are attached to the various buildings.The Port of Hull Society for the Religious Instruction of Seamen was founded in 1821. The society established the Sailors’ Orphans Institution in 1836, but it did not have a permanent home until the Park Street orphanage was built in 1868-9, largely funded by (Sir) Titus Salt of Saltaire. The orphanage in Park Street was sold in 1897, by which time all the children were accommodated in the new complex on Cottingham Road.

Listing NGR: TA0835631516

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 387524

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mitchell, C, The Long Watch: A History of the Sailor's Children's Society, (1961)
Neave, David, Neave, Susan, Pevsner Architectural Guides: Hull, (2010), 159

End of official listing