Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208602.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2020 at 00:12:21.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 08243 31533


This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 31/03/2017

TA03SE 680-1/4/118

KINGSTON UPON HULL COTTINGHAM ROAD (North side) Newland Homes, West Lodge

GV II Lodge at orphanage by WH Bingley of Hull. c1897.

MATERIALS: yellow brick with ashlar dressings and slate roof with coped ridge stack.

EXTERIOR: plinth, close studded bargeboards with collars to main gables. Two storeys; two-window range. Windows are mixed glazing bar and plain sashes. West front has to left a gable with a sash. Below, central door with three glazed panels, flanked by single canted hipped bay windows each with three sashes. Right gable, to street, has two sashes.

HISTORY: this complex of orphan homes and ancillary buildings was built 1895-1902 by the Port of Hull Society, and endowed by various benefactors whose names are attached to the various buildings. The Port of Hull Society for the Religious Instruction of Seamen was founded in 1821. The society established the Sailors’ Orphans Institution in 1836, but it did not have a permanent home until the Park Street orphanage was built in 1868-9, largely funded by (Sir) Titus Salt of Saltaire. The orphanage in Park Street was sold in 1897, by which time all the children were accommodated in the new complex on Cottingham Road.

Listing NGR: TA0824331533


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Mitchell, C, The Long Watch: A History of the Sailor's Children's Society, (1961)
Neave, David, Neave, Susan, Pevsner Architectural Guides: Hull, (2010), 159


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04220/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].