NEWLAND HOMES WILLIAM RICHARDSON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208611
Date first listed:
21-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
NEWLAND HOMES WILLIAM RICHARDSON HOUSE, COTTINGHAM ROAD, HULL

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWLAND HOMES WILLIAM RICHARDSON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208611 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 06:20:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
NEWLAND HOMES WILLIAM RICHARDSON HOUSE, COTTINGHAM ROAD, HULL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 08374 31530

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 31/03/2017

TA03SE 680-1/4/120

KINGSTON UPON HULL COTTINGHAM ROAD (North side) Newland Homes, William Richardson House

GV II

Former orphanage by WH Bingley of Hull.1896. Paid for by William Richardson.

MATERIAL: yellow brick with ashlar dressings and slate roof with single ridge and two gable stacks.

EXTERIOR: plinth, ground-floor lintel band, first-floor sill band, traceried bargeboards with collars to centre gable. Two storeys; six window range. Windows are mainly plain sashes. Projecting centre has two sashes with a shaped datestone and lintel above, with the name of the building. Left return angle has a single sash. Beyond, on either side, two sashes. Below, central hipped square bay window with two sashes, and on either side, a smaller sash. To left, in the return angle, a hipped porch canopy on wooden posts, covering a single window and door. To its left, a single sash. To right, two sashes. At the rear, two gabled wings.

HISTORY: this complex of orphan homes and ancillary buildings was built 1895-1902 by the Port of Hull Society and endowed by various benefactors whose names are attached to the various buildings. The Port of Hull Society for the Religious Instruction of Seamen was founded in 1821. The society established the Sailors’ Orphans Institution in 1836, but it did not have a permanent home until the Park Street orphanage was built in 1868-9, largely funded by (Sir) Titus Salt of Saltaire. The orphanage in Park Street was sold in 1897, by which time all the children were accommodated in the new complex on Cottingham Road.

Listing NGR: TA0837431530

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387534
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mitchell, C, The Long Watch: A History of the Sailor's Children's Society, (1961)
Neave, David, Neave, Susan, Pevsner Architectural Guides: Hull, (2010), 159

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15367/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Callan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].