DOLPHIN PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208642
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1976
Statutory Address:
DOLPHIN PUBLIC HOUSE, SILVER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOLPHIN PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208642 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 00:22:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
DOLPHIN PUBLIC HOUSE, SILVER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Ilminster
National Grid Reference:
ST 35984 14573

Details

ILMINSTER

ST3414 SILVER STREET 1939-1/6/112 (North side) 29/07/76 Dolphin Public House

GV II

Public house. Late C17 rear wing, c1820 extension to the left, and c1970 alterations. Rough Ham Hill stone rubble with dressed stone to the front; English-bond brick rear wing; pantile roof with brick stacks. L-shape plan. 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range to left of front. This has double 3-panel doors under early C19 projecting stone porch with slender Tuscan columns, simple rectangular motifs to the frieze, and moulded cornice, below an 8/8-pane sash window. Windows to the sides are paired sashes with c1900 four/four-panes to each half. The gable end of the rear wing steps forward to the right and is also of stone with stone copings and moulded kneelers; it has one 4/4-pane sash to each floor under concrete lintels. The rear wing, facing east onto Court Barton, is 2 storeys to the left (south), tapering uphill to one storey to the right (north); it is coursed rubblestone to each end and lower part of centre, infilled with C18 soft red English-bond brick, an early example in this area; it has C19 four-light casements to the left, 3-lights to the rest, and one to the centre, bricked-up, all under wooden lintels. INTERIOR: much altered, but rear wing has chamfered beams. Roof not seen. In 1904 this inn had a date tablet inscribed "HP 1676".

Listing NGR: ST3598214574

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383474
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12567/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].