NAVESTOCK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208652
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
NAVESTOCK HALL, SHONKS MILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NAVESTOCK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 10:23:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
NAVESTOCK HALL, SHONKS MILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Brentwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Navestock
National Grid Reference:
TQ 54145 98303

Details

NAVESTOCK

TQ59NW SHONKS MILL ROAD 723-1/4/514 (North side) 27/08/52 Navestock Hall (Formerly Listed as: BRENTWOOD SHONKS MILL ROAD, Navestock Navestock Hall)

GV II

House. Early C16. Exposed timber-framing and peg-tiled roof. Later additions and major rebuilding after bomb damage in Sept 1940. 2 storeys and attics. SW block has original first floor jettied to N and S using flat laid joists with soffit tenons. Drastically restored side walls but bracing may copy original. The S face has a projecting timber-framed, gabled bay of C20 build. INTERIOR: NE block C17 principal ceiling joists have lamb's tongue stopped chamfers. Between these 2 blocks is a large chimney-stack and small C18 staircase with turned softwood balusters. NW block probably C18 but extensively rebuilt. Rain water head dated 1767 on SE front. Navestock Hall, the granary (qv) and the stable (qv) form a group. (RCHM: Central and SW Essex : Monument 5: 193).

Listing NGR: TQ5414598303

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373792
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 193

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07038/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Pridham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].