Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208681.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Aug-2021 at 23:04:50.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 35975 14455



ST3414 SILVER STREET 1939-1/6/114 (South side) 29/07/76 Greenfylde School


School. Dated 1878. Rough Ham Hill stone ashlar and rusticated blue lias stone bands, with crested slate roof. Shallow U-shape plan with long rear range to the right, backing onto Wharf Lane. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: Single storey. 2 stepped-forward gables flank the facade. The left gable has paired 2-light windows with mullions and transoms, pointed trefoil heads to each light and plain quatrefoil lights to the tops, under hoodmoulds with foliate stops; a pierced cross in apex of the gable. The gable to the right has one 3-light window with pointed trefoil heads below a similar hoodmould and a plain slit window in the apex. The central set-back range has a planked door with elaborate strap hinges to the left; right-of-centre is a forward stack, offset, with a C20 rebuilt top; set in the stack is a decorative recessed panel with the date A.D.1878 under a hoodmould; flanking the chimney are pairs of 2-light windows similar to the others but without hoodmoulds. A plinth and a string course, at sill level with head-stops flanking the door, span the whole facade. The left wing and the centre have rough bands of blue lias. Set diagonally, close to the south-west angle of the ridge, is a belfry; it has a slate-hung base, turned corner pillars with louvres between and a steep slate pyramidal roof topped by a wrought-iron finial; this has 4 drooping leaves to the base, a ball to the centre with a crown above and a smaller ball to the top. The rear elevation reflects the front, with a left-of-centre gable which has an elaborate wrought-iron finial. The long rear wing, to the west, in similar style with 2-light cross-windows and gabled porches to the side, Decorated-style gable end window and 3 ornamental vents to the ridge. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORY: the school was built to replace the original one in Court Barton (qv) which then became Ilminster Girls' Grammar School. A robust and richly detailed example of a Gothic Revival school.

Listing NGR: ST3597514455


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].