CHUBB'S ALMSHOUSES CHUBB'S ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208709

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Dec-1993

Statutory Address: CHUBB'S ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED WALL, WEST STREET

Statutory Address: CHUBB'S ALMSHOUSES, 33-39, COURT BARTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHUBB'S ALMSHOUSES
CHUBB'S ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208709 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 18:03:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHUBB'S ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED WALL, WEST STREET

Statutory Address: CHUBB'S ALMSHOUSES, 33-39, COURT BARTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Crewkerne

National Grid Reference: ST 43991 09615

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CREWKERNE

ST4309 WEST STREET 876-1/6/172 (North side) 12/06/50 Chubb's Almshouses and attached wall (Formerly Listed as: WEST STREET (North side) Chubb's Almshouses garden wall to south and east of Chubb's Almshouses)

GV II

Includes: Nos.33-39 Chubb's Almshouses COURT BARTON. Two blocks of 4 almshouses. The block facing Court Barton, early C17; altered in 1887, and the block facing West Street, 1897, to the designs of George Vialls of Crewkerne. MATERIALS: coursed limestone rubble with Ham Hill stone plinths and dressings, and slate roofs. PLAN: each block is 4-units, with a lower rear extension to the right of the eaelier block facing west onto Court Barton. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Court Barton block has 3 courses of stone slate at eaves-level; stone coping, moulded kneelers and brick stacks to gable ends, and one central ridge stack. The 4-window range facade consists of 2 symmetrical pairs which flank a central plaque; this has a moulded architrave, the inscription is illegible. The plaque rests on a moulded string course spanning the facade above the ground-floor windows. All the windows are 3-light leaded casements with hollow-moulded stone mullions, except that to the far ground-floor right, which is 2-light. Plank doors, under Tudor-arched architraves with sunk spandrels, are paired to each end and are flanked by casements. The first-floor windows, which are directly above those to the ground floor, are at eaves-level, where wrought-iron brackets support the gutter. The right return has 2 windows to the ground-floor rear extension, and in the centre of the gable end is a pedimented plaque with fluted pilasters. The inscription reads: "In the Jubilee Year of the reign of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, on June 20th 1887, the inhabitants of Crewkerne raised by voluntary subscription the sum of »369.15.9, which was invested, »366.11.6. 3-and-a-half per cent India stock, and was added to the endowment fund." The block facing south, on West Street, built in 1897, has 4 similarly paired dwellings with small single-storey extensions to the rear: the windows are similar but larger, 3-light to the ground floor and 2-light above, set in full gabled dormers, the central ones paired under one large gable, crowned by a finial and decorated with strapwork resting on a floating cornice supporting a plaque. The planked doors have overlights with Gothic-style glazing bars, under Tudor-style arches; above the doors, under the eaves, are small single-light windows. This block has a continuous string course above the doors, stone coping and stone stacks to gable ends, and one central stack. INTERIORS not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a coursed limestone rubble wall with Ham Hill stone coping, encloses the front and right side of the West Street block; it is attached to the rear of the Court Barton block, sweeps down and curves into Oxen Lane, where it is approx 2m high. It sweeps up slightly to 2 gate piers to the centre-front; these have swept, domed caps and support wrought-iron double gates. HISTORY: although dated 1644, the oldest document known, of 30 August 1710, mentions Mathew Chubb and his wife Margaret, both long since dead, leaving half and acre of ground and money for the perpetual relief of 8 poor pe (Charity Commissioners' Reports: 1819-1837; Victoria County History: Somerset: London: 1978-: P.37).

Listing NGR: ST4399109615

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 390446

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 37

End of official listing