FOUR CHEST TOMBS TO SOUTH EAST OF THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208723
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
FOUR CHEST TOMBS TO SOUTH EAST OF THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, SILVER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FOUR CHEST TOMBS TO SOUTH EAST OF THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208723 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 16:47:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
FOUR CHEST TOMBS TO SOUTH EAST OF THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, SILVER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Ilminster
National Grid Reference:
ST 36035 14560

Details

ILMINSTER

ST3614 SILVER STREET 1939-1/7/117 (North side) Four chest tombs to south-east of the Parish Church of St Mary

GV II

Four chest tombs. One approx 10m south-west of the south porch. c1800. Ham Hill stone. Hipped top; clasping panelled pilasters to sides and centres of long sides with Ionic caps. Most inscriptions are eroded, but the panel facing east has legible dates of 1839, 1845 and 1915. One approx 10m east of the south transept. Early C19. Ham Hill stone. Hipped top and moulded plinth; raised-and-fielded panels between panelled pilasters. Inscriptions are eroded except a date of 1861. One approx 15m east of south transept. Early C19 with panelled sides; enclosed by spearhead railings with urn finials, on a stone plinth. Similar late C18 chest tomb with panelled pilasters approx 18m south-east of south transept.

Listing NGR: ST3603514560

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383481
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12479/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].